So you’re ready to get in shape. Sure, it’s a great goal with lots of benefits, but where do you even start? Do you hit the gym for a long workout, or do some cardio exercises at home? Maybe it’s too cold to go outside and run or bike, so the only option left is getting on the treadmill for hours on end. These are all difficult questions with no easy answers.
But one thing is certain: there’s umpteen fitness methods out there, all with their own unique pros and cons. So how do you choose from all these options? A lot of fitness professionals will tell you to consult a professional walking through the process.
And while it’s true that a personal trainer can give you a better idea of what’s best for your body, the process becomes too complicated when you have a lot of choices in front of you.
Here’s what you need to do: first, create a list of your goals. Keep them short and simple (e.g., “look good at the beach this summer”). Next, go beyond that to consider goals that might not be achieved for another four or five years (e.g., “make the high school basketball team”). Now, look at those goals and cut them down to two or three main ones. And now that you have your list of goals, it’s time to start the search.
Here are 10 steps for Finding your Perfect Workout Routine:
Without further ado, here are the 10 steps for finding your perfect workout routine.
- Be honest with yourself. You need to know what you want to achieve if you want to do anything but change or drop a goal all together. You also need to know if there is an alternative goal that would be better suited for your lifestyle, health and fitness goals.
- Consider all your fitness options. The next step will force you to think about all the fitness options you have available to you and their pros and cons. You can do this on your own or by consulting with a professional like a personal trainer or a nutritionist. This is where the process of elimination will begin by eliminating fitness options that are not realistic or don’t fit into your lifestyle, or that are duplicates of each other.
- If possible, work out with a partner. Working out with a partner is always encouraged since it can help motivate you and keep you on track. You can even work out together in order to achieve your goals faster and stay motivated.
- Get flexible. The more flexible you are with your workout routine, the better it will be for your body. For example, if you’re an avid runner but then find that running isn’t very effective for you anymore, don’t just give up on running altogether. There are other alternatives to running that you can try out.
- Choose an approach that suits your lifestyle, health and fitness goals. Now that you have determined what you want to achieve, it’s time to go beyond the physical aspect of the workout and start thinking about your enjoyment of fitness too. For example, if you’re an avid runner but find that running is just not enjoyable anymore then consider trying out spinning, because it’s a great alternative for runners who are looking for something different.
- Try different types of workouts everyday . By doing this, you are giving yourself the best chance of success because you are being as flexible as possible to your body’s needs. There are many benefits to exercising on a daily basis, so consider it if possible.
- Consider your physical limitations. If you don’t already know what they are, now is the time to find out since it will help you determine which kinds of exercises you should avoid or at least be very cautious about.
- Figure out a routine that’s easy to follow. This sounds very obvious, but many people overlook this step because they get a bit carried away with all sorts of exercises they already know about. So make sure you choose an exercise routine that is easy to follow and do even if you are busy, or if you have to juggle other responsibilities too.
- Combine your routines for the best results . For example, if you’re a runner, you can combine running with swimming. Or if you’re a cyclist, then try biking and swimming together. It’s also a good idea to mix up your workouts with different things.
- Avoid extremes . Always remember that physical activity is best at the end of your day as it helps to increase your metabolism and body temperature as well as the release of certain hormones such as dopamine and serotonin which can help improve mood and even weight loss. So always choose something moderately intense for the best results.
There you have it—10 steps to finding your perfect workout routine! The choices are limitless. And of course, there are other factors you will need to consider too, so don’t forget to check out the next article of the series on this subject.